Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Recipe from "Chocolate from the Cake Mix Doctor...) by: Anne Byrn. The first time I made this recipe, I only had walnuts and dark brown sugar on hand, but the recipe still turned out great!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 13x9-inch baking pan with nonstick spray.
- Place cake mix, yogurt, water, oil, and eggs in a mixing bowl.
- Using an electric mixer, blend on low speed for 1 minute.
- Scrape the sides of the bowl, and mix on medium speed for 2 minutes more.
- Pour the batter into the baking pan and spread evenly with a spatula.
- Stir together the pecans, brown sugar, and chocolate chips.
- Sprinkle this mixture over the top of the cake, and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until it springs back when lightly pressed with your finger.
- Remove the cake from the oven and cool for 20 minutes on a wire rack.
- Serve slightly warm.
I had some vanilla yogurt that I wanted to use up and found this recipe. I had all the ingredients and made no changes. This cake came out so tender and light. Since it's just my husband and me, I hope I will be successful in freezing part of this cake for another time. Thank you for posting this cake recipe and I'll be making it soon to take for a family function. I know they'll all love it!
Nom nom nom. Just made this. Had to sub olive oil for veg oil (because the only veg oil I've got I used to fry falafel in and didn't want to make the cake taste bad!) and a bit of plain yoghurt to top up the vanilla yoghurt but it's lovely. I was worried that it would be too flat but it rose unbelievably, and I was a bit worried that there wasn't enough topping but it turned out beautifully. I was also surprised at how well the cake stayed together when I had to flip it out of the tin (was expecting it to break up completely). I also cooked it in one 9 inch square tin, and one load tin, and both are fine.
Very good and easy to make cake. Perfect for what I needed today.