Potluck Hummingbird Cake
photo by Blessedscooks
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 1 package yellow cake mix with pudding (2 layer size)
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple with juice (undrained)
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana (2-3 medium sized)
- 1 jar maraschino cherry, halves drained
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted and divided
Cream Cheese frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened at room temp
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened at room temp
- 3 3⁄4 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- (If you havent toasted the pecans, now is the perfect time to do it while the oven is preheating. Just spread them in a single layer on a baking sheet and place in the oven for 5-6 minutes or until you can smell them toasting.) Grease and flour a 12 cup bundt pan.
- Mix on low speed for 1 minute the cake mix, pineapple and juice, bananas, water, oil, eggs, vanilla and cinnamon.
- Stop mixer and scrape down, then mix at medium speed for 2 minutes more.
- Stir in by hand the cherries and 1/2 cup nuts.
- Batter will be thick and fruit well blended.
- Pour into bundt pan.
- Bake on middle rack for 50-60 minutes.
- Cake will be golden and spring back when touched.
- Cool in pan for 20 minutes then invert and cool completely.
- Make the cream cheese frosting.
- Mix the cream cheese and butter on low 30 seconds.
- Add the sugar, slowly still at low speed until well blended.
- Add vanilla, increase to medium and beat 1 minute.
- Frost cooled cake and sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup pecans.
- Store in the refrigerator up to one week.
- Can be frozen up to 6 months.
- Thaw overnite in the refrigerator before serving.
I was amazed how easy it was, considering you just dump everything into a bowl. Turned out great, I think the cherries really added a good taste and texture to the cake. Hehe, I told everybody who asked if I had hummingbirds in it, that the red, mushy looking things were their brains. Kinda morbid, but so was the question. I'm not sure, but I'm guessing there is a difference between pineapple in it's own juice and syrup. I'm sure using "in it's own juice" pineapple makes a difference, but it is hard to find. Lots of praise for this cake, great recipe, thanks so much.
Oh MY God!!!! this is so good!!!! I don`t like banana bread or cake but I made this I`m hooked! I didn`t put in the cherries! The recipe called for package yellow cake mix with pudding (2 layer size) I used yellow cake mix but it didn`t have pudding so I added a box of instant pudding! Worked out GREAT!!!!!!!!!!! Laurie I loved it and you for posting it Thanks! I have to add it to my cook book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>Before I get to the details let me tell you how I rate recipes.....and tell you how I feel about others ratings! <br /> <br />5 STARS....This recipe was excellant, we liked it very much, the directions were very clear and if I made any minor substitutions I noted it. It would most likely be made again, many times! <br /> <br />4 STARS....This recipe was good, we liked it but I made changes either in taste or it was not clear in something, but I would consider making it again. <br /> <br />3 STARS....This recipe was not something that got approval from the majority. Either it just didnt work in preparation, directions, or taste. I will tell you why and would not make it again unless I altered it much! <br /> <br />2, 1 STARS.....I DO NOT give these as I feel they are NOT worthy....especially if the recipe previously had good reviews and by my giving a low one would jeopardize the ratings. I would appreciate this reciprocated with reviews to my recipes. <br /> <br />0 STARS....COMMENTS I will leave no stars and comments on something that did not work out for me and I will be honest and tell you why. <br /> <br />I DETEST IT WHEN PEOPLE CHANGE YOUR RECIPE OR DONT EVEN MAKE IT THEN LEAVE YOU LOW REVIEWS. PEOPLE WHO DO THAT ARE JUST BEING VINDICTIVE OR JUST PLAIN STUPIDLY CRUEL. Examples of some I've gotten would be: 1 star...This doesnt sound like something we would like 2 stars...too sweet for me, (this was on a all 5 star recipe). <br /> <br /> <br />Now for the details: <br />I was born, raised and still live in the same midwestern town where comfort food is what we thrive on, however my dream is to retire to the northwoods of Wisconsin.. (the sooner the better IMHO)! <br /> <br />I relish a recipe that is simple, quick and tastes great as I am a divorced mom to 4 very busy, active young adults (27, 25, 20 year old daughters and a 21 year old son.) Cooking time is at a premium as everyone is so busy, I never usually know who will be at my house for supper! I also try to find things that will reheat well. <br /> <br />I have worked for 30 years in the accounting field and presently semi retired. It is very nice for a change to not have to deal with the everyday stress of deadlines and office politics! It has been great cooking for pleasure, at my leisure, instead of to feed the troops! <br /> <br />Cooking relaxes me so I do it often and I love to cook for people who appreciate it. It is nothing for me to start a recipe at 10pm right before bedtime, and yes I have cooked all nite. Kind of a marathon!! <br /> <br />Cookbooks are my passion and I can't resist the ones that churches, schools etc. put together and well as the ones in the grocery stores. My collection numbers well over 2000 and where as some people go to bed with a good novel, my nightstand is full of cookbooks! <br /> <br />I love to bake and its nothing for me to make 15-20 different kinds of cookies and candies for the holidays. I guess that it has rubbed off on my oldest daughter who is a culinary school graduate and knee deep in pastry classes, hoping to become a pastry chef! <br /> <br />In March of 2002 I had gastric bypass, weight loss surgery and I have lost 125 pounds FOREVER, so now when I do cook it IS for everyone else to enjoy. <br /> <br />I love Zaar and all the friends I have made here, this sight is so addictive but yet so much fun! And the recipes aren't bad either..LOL! I know that in the years since Ive been a permanent fixture of this site I have acquired many great recipes and tons of cooks that I am proud to call my friends! I have also tried many foods that years ago I would never have even imagined.</p>