Ok, I know it's an oxymoron to say 'frozen' and then 'hot' but this tastes like hot chocolate, except it's icey like a milkshake. I make this, and variables of this shake constantly for my family. This is a delicious, lower fat way to cool off on a hot day, or really wake your mouth up in the morning! Also a wonderful alternative to soda, Kool-aid, etc for the kids!
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄8 cup cocoa powder (use a little more or less, depending on your taste) or 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup powdered chocolate milk mix (Nestles Quick, Ovaltine, etc)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (or to taste)
- 1⁄8 cup non-dairy powdered coffee creamer
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 full size ice cubes (from ice cube tray, if using small ice cubes, double)
- Place all ingredients in blender and blend on high until there are no chunks of ice left. ** but make sure you're using ONE OR THE OTHER of either cocoa powder OR chocolate milk mix, NOT BOTH.
- (My blender makes a grumbling sound and then the sound changes when there are no more ice chunks.)** You can change this recipe so many ways to create your own-- add an 1/8 tsp of peppermint extract for a chocolate mint milkshake.
- Add some coffee or 1/2 teaspoon instant espresso powder to make a "Mocha" flavor.
- Omit the chocolate and powdered coffee creamer altogether to make vanilla.
- With a vanilla base, add any kind of berries-- or replace the milk with 1-1/2 cups orange juice & 1/2 cup water to make the best orange julius just like you get in the mall!
- (I don't advise using milk and orange juice together as the acid in the juice will curdle the milk in your stomach!) Play with the amount of sugar, cocoa, etc to create the best taste for you and your family.