Prep 30 mins
Cook 12 mins
We brought this to a dinner party, and it was one of three desserts there but the first to go! Drizzle chocolate syrup and or raspberry sauce over the top of each slice just before serving.
- Grease and lightly flour a 15x10-inch jelly roll pan, and set aside.
- Stir together flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl beat egg yolks and vanilla with an electric mixer on high for 5 minutes or till thick and lemon colored.
- Gradually add 1/3 cup sugar beating on high till sugar is almost completely dissolved.
- Thoroughly wash beaters.
- In separate bowl beat egg whites on medium speed till soft peaks form.
- Gradually add the 1/2 cup sugar, beating till stiff peaks form.
- Fold egg yolk mixture in with egg whites.
- Sprinkle flour mixture over egg mixture, folding gently just till combined.
- Spread batter evenly in the pan.
- Bake 375°F for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Cake should spring back when touched lightly.
- Immediately loosen edges of cake and turn over on towel lightly sprinkled with powdered sugar.
- Roll the cake up w/ the towel jelly roll style, short end to short end.
- Cool on wire rack, unroll and spread w/ softened ice cream.
- Roll up again wrap in plastic wrap and freeze at least 2 hours before serving.
I've made this recipe twice and there are never left overs - people fight over the last piece. I followed the recipe step by step. The only thing I did differently was to line the pan with parchment paper to make my life easier. Thank you!!!
This dessert was fantastic! I used French Vanilla ice cream then layered it with hot fudge and finely chopped pecans before rolling it up. Then I stuck it back in the freezer for everything to firm up. Extremely good cake roll! This is so flexible that you can change up the ice cream flavors, toppings and nuts to make a wide array of different combinations. The kids REALLY enjoyed digging into this. I got all kinds of compliments around the table! Thank you for sharing Homegirl!
This is a great recipe. I used parchment paper in my jelly roll pan. It came out very easy. I used peppermint stick ice cream. It eas fantastic!