Prep 3 hrs
Cook 0 mins
I first made this for my boyfriend's birthday. It takes a bit of time to put together and freeze, but there's no baking time so I think it all works out the same in the end! You can also try different ice cream combinations, depending on what you like. Pistachio and vanilla is another possibility. A fun idea for a summer cake!
- 1 liter chocolate ice cream, softened
- 1 liter vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1 (10 ounce) packageof frozen sliced strawberries
- 1 cup sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1 tablespoon rum (optional)
- 40 chocolate chip cookies
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- Crush 20 of the cookies and mix the crumbs with the butter.
- Pat mixture on the bottom of an 8 inch springform pan and put in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Now make a fudge sauce by putting the cream, chocolate and 1 cup of sugar in a saucepan and stirring constantly over low heat until the chocolate is melted.
- Add rum if desired.
- When the fudge sauce is cool, use about half of it to spread over the cookie crumb crust.
- At this point, you also take the remaining chocolate chip cookies and stand them up along the edge of the pan.
- Put the mixture back in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Take the ice cream out to soften at this point and start making the strawberry sauce.
- Put the strawberries, two tablespoons of sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan and heat-- stirring occasionally-- until the strawberries form a thick sauce.
- When the ice cream is fairly soft, take the pan out of the freezer and start spreading the ice cream in the pan.
- You want to create a marbled effect by lightly mixing the two ice cream flavours together, but not so much that they become all one colour.
- Swirl in the strawberry sauce.
- Pour over the remaining fudge sauce and return to freezer until everything is firm, at least two hours.
- To serve, remove the edge of the pan and let soften for 10-15 minutes.
I lined the pan with Saran Wrap so It would come out easily and it worked great! I made the sauce using Dove milk chocolate instead of the unsweetened and didn't add any sugar, as that is what I had on hand. I used chocolate wafer cookies for the bottom layer instead of the chocolate chip cookies. We loved it!
Very nice! I took your sugestion and made some variations. I lined the pan with baking paper, so it came out easily. Since we don't have unsweetened chocolate were I live, I made the fudge sauce using equal amount of cream & dark choc. Also just crushed up some digestive (Marie) cookies on base and covered with a chocolate mousse. Next time I will just use the fudge sauce, like you suggested. Also omitted choc ice cream, and substituted frozen raspberries (crushed) for the strawberries. The raspberries looked really pretty stirred through the white ice cream. I saved a few of the remaining raspberries to sprinkle on top. Then made up more fudge sauce and drizzled that over the top to serve. It was soooo good! Thanks again for this recipe. Next time I'm going to try frozen blueberry & white chocolate.