Recipe by Sackville
I first made this for my boyfriend's birthday. It takes a bit of time to put together and freeze, but there's no baking time so I think it all works out the same in the end! You can also try different ice cream combinations, depending on what you like. Pistachio and vanilla is another possibility. A fun idea for a summer cake!
Top Review by beckyjacobs54
I lined the pan with Saran Wrap so It would come out easily and it worked great! I made the sauce using Dove milk chocolate instead of the unsweetened and didn't add any sugar, as that is what I had on hand. I used chocolate wafer cookies for the bottom layer instead of the chocolate chip cookies. We loved it!
- 1 liter chocolate ice cream, softened
- 1 liter vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1 (10 ounce) packageof frozen sliced strawberries
- 1 cup sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1 tablespoon rum (optional)
- 40 chocolate chip cookies
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Crush 20 of the cookies and mix the crumbs with the butter.
- Pat mixture on the bottom of an 8 inch springform pan and put in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Now make a fudge sauce by putting the cream, chocolate and 1 cup of sugar in a saucepan and stirring constantly over low heat until the chocolate is melted.
- Add rum if desired.
- When the fudge sauce is cool, use about half of it to spread over the cookie crumb crust.
- At this point, you also take the remaining chocolate chip cookies and stand them up along the edge of the pan.
- Put the mixture back in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Take the ice cream out to soften at this point and start making the strawberry sauce.
- Put the strawberries, two tablespoons of sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan and heat-- stirring occasionally-- until the strawberries form a thick sauce.
- When the ice cream is fairly soft, take the pan out of the freezer and start spreading the ice cream in the pan.
- You want to create a marbled effect by lightly mixing the two ice cream flavours together, but not so much that they become all one colour.
- Swirl in the strawberry sauce.
- Pour over the remaining fudge sauce and return to freezer until everything is firm, at least two hours.
- To serve, remove the edge of the pan and let soften for 10-15 minutes.