Recipe by DailyInspiration
Recipe is from Bon Appetit and was the cover recipe for the July, 1995 magazine. Dry-rubbed before grilling, the delicious bird is then drizzled with a zesty sauce at the table. Prep time does not include marinating time for chicken.
Top Review by threeovens
I elected to actually "mop" the chicken with mop sauce while it was grilling. Actually, I made a cornish game hen that I removed the backbone and cut down the breast to make two servings. Very tender and delicious! CQ
- 3⁄4 cup chili powder
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 cup hickory barbecue sauce
- 3⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (such as Tabasco)
- 2 whole chickens, quartered (backbones discarded - 3/12 pounds each)
- 3 cups mesquite wood chips (soaked in cold water 1 hour) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- For chili rub: Mix all ingredients in bowl. For mop sauce: mix all sauce ingredients in medium bowl.
- Arrange chicken in single layer on a large baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle chili rub generously on both sides of chicken; press to adhere. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour.
- Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). When coals are white, drain chips if using, and scatter over coals. Place chicken, skin side down, on grill back away from direct heat. Cover grill and cook chicken until cooked through, turning every 5 minutes and covering grill, about 35 to 40 minutes (chili rub may look slightly burned). Serve hot or warm, passing mop sauce separately.