1/3 Photos of Chia Protein Packed Chocolate Orbs (Raw - Vegan - Healthy!)
magpie diner's Note:
There is a lot of information out there about Chia seeds (Salvia) and what a nutritional powerhouse they are. I'm trying to find new ways to incorporate them into my diet, aside from sprinkling them on breakfast cereal. Recently my health food store handed out a few recipes including chia seeds, which is where this one stems from. I'm no expert but I do know they are high in omega-3, fibre, calcium and protein. I know of vegans using chia seeds soaked in water in place of eggs (or in place of "flax" eggs). I'm planning to post a recipe for chia egg replacer shortly. This page has lots of great information about these seeds - http://www.living-foods.com/articles/chia.html. I halved the original recipe, since these seeds are expensive I didn't want to risk it. If you don't happen to have coconut oil (aka coconut butter), I think it would be fine to leave it out because there is enough oil in the tahini and almond butter to hold things together. These make a fantastic snack.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup chia seeds
- 4 tablespoons tahini
- 4 tablespoons almond butter (could sub peanut butter)
- 3 tablespoons protein powder (vanilla or plain)
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 tablespoons agave nectar (or honey)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut (unsweetened)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut (unsweetened, for rolling)
- 1Mix all the ingredients together.
- 2Roll into 1 1/2 " balls and roll in shredded coconut.
- 3Refrigerate until ready to eat.
- 4You could also press the mixture into a baking pan (roughly 8x8) and sprinkle the extra coconut on top.
Browse Our Top < 15 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chia Protein Packed Chocolate Orbs (Raw - Vegan - Healthy!)
Serving Size: 1 (22 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 9
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 126.0
- Calories from Fat 96
- Total Fat 10.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 66.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 3.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: