Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
I came up with this standing in front of the pantry! It was "make do with what we've got" night! It came out rich and creamy! We really loved it!
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, about 3-4
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 0.5 (1 lb) box rotini noodles
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of broccoli soup
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 8 ounces Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms, drained
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) box frozen chopped broccoli, thawed, undrained
- 1 cup French's cheddar fried onions
- Season chicken breasts with a little salt and pepper, place in medium frying pan with a little oil.
- Add chopped onions.
- Cover with tight lid and cook breasts over medium-low heat til done, about 12-18 minutes depending on their size. Turn breasts and stir onions occasionally to prevent browning. Set aside to cool when done.
- In small pot, cook rotini noodles for 8 minutes, drain.
- Meanwhile, in large bowl, combine soups, cheese and mayo. Microwave til melted, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Cut up chicken and add chicken and onions to cheese mixture.
- Fold in noodles, broccoli, and mushrooms.
- Pour into greased 13x9-inch pan or casserole dish.
- Bake in 350ºF oven for 20 minutes.
- Top with cheddar fried onions, and bake 5 minutes longer.
We used rotisserie chickens, the mushroom soup and peas instead of broccolli. And we added regular cheese not Velveeta.
The folks at GH loved it.
This time, I'm going to add sauteed zucchini!
Wow this recipe really hit the spot. I only made a few changes but none of them really CHANGED the recipe per say. I just diced up the chicken and stir-fried so it would cook faster. I also used cream of chicken soup instead of the mushroom and left them mushrooms out. We used penne because that is what I had and 2% velveeta! Personal preference. But both my BF and I loved it and will make it again. Thanks, Wildflour.
This is a great recipe! I made it a little while ago, and can't wait to have it again. It had good flavor that was kind of "delicate" at the same time. Loved it!