Prep 5 mins
Cook 55 mins
Super simple hot bread in a hurry! From southern living magazine.
- 3 cups self-rising flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle beer (Non-Alcoholic or Light Beer may be substituted)
- 3⁄4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- Stir together first 5 ingredients; pour into a lightly greased 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 for 35 minutes.
- Pour melted butter over top.
- Bake 10 more minutes.
I thought this bread was very nice. I was expecting more cheese flavor,i'll try adding more next time.I substituted 1 cup flour with white wheat flour and did not have self-rising, so I added 1/2 teas each of baking soda and baking powder. It rose to a full size loaf. I served this with Cauliflower/Broccoli Soup # 268001
Great texture, but too much sugar for my taste (and I really love sugar). Next try, I think I'll add about 1-2 Tablespoons sugar (max) and perhaps a little salt... I'm just missing *something...*
Excellent, great for guests and we dumped the butter in first after reading the 1st reviewer's serendipitous discovery. Used Guinness stout for a definitive flavour and this is probably why 2/5 thought it was a bit "sour" like sour-dough bread which 3/5 adored. Will probably use a lighter beer next time to experiment for a less "sour" background.