Recipe by Tina and Dave
These are great with cheese, smoked salmon etc! You can add different seeds, spices...vary the flours...the options are endless! Source: The Flavor Makers Cook Book, Iara Lewin (BNLImp@aol.com)
- 1 cup rye flour
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion salt
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- ice-cold water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven 350 degrees F.
- Mix all the dry ingredients.
- Add the oil and stir with fork until moistened. Sprinkle the water, a little at a time, stirring until the mixture forms a ball.
- (For the next step I used a silicon sheet, folded in half).
- Divide the dough in half and place one half between 2 large sheets waxed paper.
- Roll the dough until 1/16 inch thick.
- Remove the top sheet of paper and cut dough into 1- 1/2 inch shapes or rectangles.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
- Put the crackers on ungreased baking sheets and prick each cracker 2 or 3 times with a fork. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until crisp and golden brown.
- Cool and serve with whatever takes your fancy!