Recipe by Mark H.
These are my all-time favorite cookies. The recipe is my mother's. She usually makes them at Christmas, but I say make them anytime. After all, there is no bad time for good cookies.
- 1 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 1⁄4 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 -5 teaspoons evaporated milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Cream 1 cup butter, then slowly add brown sugar and cream well.
- Blend in egg yolk, then stir in flour.
- Continue stirring until a ball of dough forms.
- Chill dough for easier handling.
- Shape dough into balls the size of large marbles.
- Flatten each ball of dough to about 1/8" thickness using palm of hand.
- Mark each cookie by pressing with a fork.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- While cookies are baking, slightly brown 3 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan.
- Remove saucepan from heat and blend in powdered sugar.
- Gradually add vanilla and evaporated milk, stirring until a spreading consistency is achieved.
- Spread filling on one cookie, then top with a second cookie.
- Pour a tall glass of cold milk and enjoy the cookies.