Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
A delicious recipe taken from the "Nestle Toll House Recipe Collection", posted in response to a request on the message boards. Enjoy! :)
- 946.36 ml pared cored and sliced tart cooking apples
- 7.39 ml lemon juice
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 59.14 ml all-purpose flour
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- 0.59 ml salt
- 9 inch unbaked pastry shells
- 170.09 g nestle toll house butterscotch chips
- 59.14 ml butter
- 177.44 ml flour
- 0.59 ml salt
- whipped cream (optional) or ice cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Mix together apples and lemon juice in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix together sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt; pour over apples, coating apples well.
- If using frozen pie shell, use deep-dish type, and bake on cookie sheet for 10 minutes to thaw.
- Pour apples into pie shell.
- Cover edges of pie crust with aluminum foil to prevent burning.
- Bake at 375 degrees F.
- for 20 minutes.
- In top of double boiler, stir together morsels and butter until they are melted; remove from heat.
- Stir in flour and salt; mix until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Remove foil from pie crust; sprinkle topping over pie.
- Bake an additional 20-25 minutes or until crust is golden and pie is bubbly.
- Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.
I thought it was rather dry. It could have been my apples. I used a combination of Granny Smith and Macintosh.
Of all the new pies I've tried to make lately, this was my favorite. The apples came out perfect...not too soft, not too firm. And the butterscotch crumbs proved to be a perfect compliment to the apple filling. Thanks for posting this recipe Sue.