Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
From EveryDay with Rachael Ray Magazine, March 2012.
- 1419.54 ml vegetable oil, for frying
- 591.47 ml plain pancake mix
- 39.43 ml hot sauce
- 566.99 g boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 236.59 ml blue cheese dressing
- In a deep skillet, pour in the oil over medium heat. (It should reach 1 1/2 inches up the side of the pot).
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine 2 cups pancake mix, 1 1/4 cups water, and 6 tsp hot sauce. Place the remaining 1/2 cup pancake mix in a wide bowl. Arrange the batter and the bowl of reserved pancake mix near the stove. Line plate with a few paper towels and keep within reach.
- Once the oil is heated, toss the chicken pieces with the remaining 2 tsp hot sauce, then toss them in the dry pancake mix, coating evenly and shaking off the excess. Working in 3 or 4 batches, add the chicken to the batter and toss with your fingers or a fork. Remove from the batter, shaking off the excess, and carefully add to the hot oil. Fry the chicken, turning once with tongs, until deep golden brown about 4 minutes. Transfer the chicken to the paper towel lined plate to drain, then season with salt.
- Stir the scallions and 1 tsp pepper into the blue cheese dressing. Serve the chicken immediately, with the dressing on the side.