Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Another good healthy soup.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lb broccoli, chopped
- 570 ml vegetable stock
- salt & pepper
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- Saute onion& garlic in oil with the bay leaf for 3 tp 4 minutes.
- Remove 4 ounces of broccoli florets.
- Add the rest of the broccoli& stock.
- Bring to a boil& simmer gently, covered for 10 minutes.
- The broccoli should be tender but still bright green.
- Remove the bay leaf& cool slightly.
- Blend the soup till it is completely smooth.
- Season to taste with salt& pepper& add the lemon juice.
- Reheat gently in a clean pot.
- Meanwhile steam the reserved florets till tender, 8 minutes or so.
- Scatter them over the soup, stir& serve.
I love simple, yet flavourful recipes and this one fitted the bill perfectly! This tasted a lot like Tish's Creamless Broccoli Soup (#19655), which I've made several times. The only change I made in this recipe was to use water instead of vegetable stock. I scaled down to 1 serving, and added an extra 1/3 cup water because it seemed rather thick. The lemon juice adds a nice tartness! I had this with toasted whole wheat bread and fruit for a lovely, light lunch.
This was great. I love soup and I try to stay away from a lot of dairy. This soup was awesome.
Great base! Add more flavor with at least 3 more cloves of garlic and an equal amount of freshly chopped ginger. Very healthy and tastes great!!