Recipe by marna
This is a recipe that is super fast and fit into my weight watchers. It is 4 points and makes 4 servings of about 1 1/4 cups each. Ohh, By the way it really is great!!
Top Review by labodomyeyes_8588563
Yummy! Quick and easy. Like many others, I used what I had on hand versus going to the store. I used a sweet onion instead of shallots and a mix of low fat sharp cheddar cheeses. We usually only eat fat free cheese but anyone who has tried to melt fat free cheese knows it just wont work. Fat free cheese "melts" into a plastic like mess. It's just no good. Anyway, this recipe is really good. Used chicken bouillon to make my broth. Very tasty, fast and low fat!
- 1 (1 lb) bagof frozen broccoli floret
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth or 1 (14 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 -4 finely chopped shallots
- 1 tablespoon butter (or 10 servings spray butter)
- 1 cup of your favorite shredded cheddar cheese (we use Kraft Cheddar Classic Melts)
- 1 cup fat-free half-and-half
Directions See How It's Made
- Place broccoli and 3/4 cup water in microwave safe dish, Microwave broccoli until fork tender (about 6 min on high).
- Meanwhile in sauce pan, saute shallots until clear.
- When clear, add flour to pan and stir until flour cooked Add broth and 1/2 cup of broccoli water and 1/4 of broccoli spears.
- Mash entire mixture with a potato masher.
- Bring to a rapid boil.
- Boil for about 3-5 minutes.
- Decrease heat, add rest of broccoli spears (whole), half and half and cheese.
- Stir until cheese melts.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and enjoy.