This is a recipe that is super fast and fit into my weight watchers. It is 4 points and makes 4 servings of about 1 1/4 cups each. Ohh, By the way it really is great!!
- 1 (1 lb) bagof frozen broccoli floret
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth or 1 (14 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 -4 finely chopped shallots
- 1 tablespoon butter (or 10 servings spray butter)
- 1 cup of your favorite shredded cheddar cheese (we use Kraft Cheddar Classic Melts)
- 1 cup fat-free half-and-half
- Place broccoli and 3/4 cup water in microwave safe dish, Microwave broccoli until fork tender (about 6 min on high).
- Meanwhile in sauce pan, saute shallots until clear.
- When clear, add flour to pan and stir until flour cooked Add broth and 1/2 cup of broccoli water and 1/4 of broccoli spears.
- Mash entire mixture with a potato masher.
- Bring to a rapid boil.
- Boil for about 3-5 minutes.
- Decrease heat, add rest of broccoli spears (whole), half and half and cheese.
- Stir until cheese melts.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and enjoy.
Yummy! Quick and easy. Like many others, I used what I had on hand versus going to the store. I used a sweet onion instead of shallots and a mix of low fat sharp cheddar cheeses. We usually only eat fat free cheese but anyone who has tried to melt fat free cheese knows it just wont work. Fat free cheese "melts" into a plastic like mess. It's just no good. Anyway, this recipe is really good. Used chicken bouillon to make my broth. Very tasty, fast and low fat!
I have made this recipe a few times but am only getting around to reviewing it now. This is simply wonderful. the only thing I do differently is that I NUKE the broccoli until it is mush. I prefer a very creamy broccoli cheese soup with no crunchy "bits". (SHUDDER) This also helps to make the soup a lot thicker and creamier. I like to add a pinch or two of red pepper flakes, or a pinch of dry mustard, or some garlic powder to the soup (depending on my mood), any of these flourishes gives the soup that little bit of extra oomph! I also take some day old bread, cut it into cubes, then toast the bread cubes in a skillet with a little butter and garlic salt. Voila - instant croutons...awesome topping for your soup with a little bit of shredded cheese.
Great! Love it with fresh broccoli. Can also use onion and garlic instead of shallot. Google the substitution :)