Prep 1 hr 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
I got this recipe from another online site and made it for thanksgiving and it was a hit. I noticed that other copycat recipes for Boston Market Sweet Potato Casserole have pecans listed in the ingredients and although that sounds delicious too, I don’t remember ever having pecans in my casserole when ordered at Boston Market. This recipe calls for an Oatmeal Streusel topping which is how I remember it.
- 6 cups mashed sweet potatoes (5 to 6 potatoes-see step #1)
- 3⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- 1⁄4 cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- Rub a little vegetable oil on the skin of each sweet potato and bake them in a preheated 400F oven for 60 to 70 minutes or until they are tender. When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, scrape out the insides and use an electric mixer on high speed to beat the potatoes until they are mashed and smooth. Measure exactly 6 cups of the mashed sweet potato into a large bowl.
- Add 3/4 cup brown sugar, heavy cream, melted butter, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, and salt into the sweet potatoes and mix well with the beater until all the ingredients are incorporated. Pour this mixture into an 8x8-inch baking dish.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Make the oatmeal streusel by grinding the rolled oats to a fine flour using a food processor. A blender will also work.
- Combine the oat flour with 2 tablespoons brown sugar, all-purpose flour, and 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon in a small bowl. Cut the cold butter into the dry mixture using a pastry knife or a fork. You should have a crumbly mixture with pea-size bits. Sprinkle this oatmeal streusel over the sweet potato mixture and pop it into the oven for 70 to 80 minutes or until the top begins to brown slightly.
- When you remove the casserole from the oven immediately spread the marshmallows over the top. Let this sit for about 10 minutes. The heat from the casserole will melt the marshmallows, and then it's ready to serve.
This is a very good recipe and please use real sweeet potatoes. I don't get the can thing because if you bake the sweet potatoes the potato comes out easy. Canned potatoes give a different texture that reminds me of rubber. I added vanilla extract as I do to all my desserts when not one of the ingredients. I haven't tried the Boston Market, but a good casserole. Oh and I added more cinnamon.
I love this recipe!! It is so great and everyone loves it! I double the topping recipe though and add some pecans to it. I also use canned yams and it comes out perfectly!
I make this recipe every year for Thanksgiving and Christmas. It is a big hit. It is the best! I use the canned yams and mash them up. Thank you for posting this recipe :)