Recipe by willowhisper1
This is my family's favorite cake.
Top Review by *Pixie*
This is so EASY and so GOOD! I will definitely make this again! I made it in my largest rectangular glass pan so we could see the layers when it was finished. I didn't have any almond extract so I omitted it. My kids wanted a chocolate topping, so I substituted chocolate pudding + 1 heaping tbsp cocoa for the vanilla pudding. The combo of dark chocolate, cherries and a light creamy topping is just irrestible. Everyone had seconds...
- 1 (18 ounce) box devil's food cake mix
- 3 eggs (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1⁄3 cup oil (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 1⁄3 cups water (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 (8 ounce) container whipped topping (cool whip)
- 1 tablespoon almond flavoring
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 1 (5 1/8 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding
- 1 (20 ounce) can cherry pie filling
- 1 ounce chocolate sprinkles
- maraschino cherry
Directions See How It's Made
- Bake cake according to directions in a 9' x 13' x 2' pan.
- Mix pie filling and almond flavoring.
- While cake is still warm, poke top with fork and spread cherry pie filling over cake.
- While cake cooks, prepare pudding, adding extra vanilla flavoring.
- Fold in whipped topping.
- Spread pudding mixture over cake, carefully covering cherry pie filling.
- Decorate with chocolate sprinkles and maraschino cherries.
- Cover and refrigerate.