Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is one of my most requested desserts over the holidays, but I make it often throughout the year.
- 2 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 loaf French bread, sliced thick
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 5 Red Delicious apples, peeled and sliced
- 1⁄4 cup apple jack brandy (or Grand Mainer)
- powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 400°F Wisk all custard ingredients. Set aside.
- In frying pan, melt butter. Add raisins, sugar, and apples. Cook on med heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add applejack brandy and CAREFULLY Flambe’ till alcohol is cooked off. Then set pan aside to cool.
- Place bread slices in bottom of 9 x 13 pan. Place apple mixture over bread. Pour custard over the apple mixture. Place in water bath and bake for 45 minutes.
- Cool 20 minutes to serve warm, 3 hours in fridge to serve later or to serve chilled. Dust lightly with powdered sugar before serving.
Yummy yummy! This was so good I've been snacking on it since I made it. (I couldn't even resist taking a piece out before the picture!) This was so easy to make and so much fun to flambe. I will definitely make this again!
This was super yummy!! I made it up ahead of time and baked it just about 15 minutes before dinner. I used granny smiths and added a little more sugar. I might try and add some spice to it next time, too. I used apple juice instead of the brandy. Thanks, 2Bleu!!