1/2 Photos of Best Hot Cocoa Ever! and Real Whipped Cream!
I got this out of the cookbook Honest Pretzels, by Mollie Katzen. It really IS the best hot cocoa ever. There is also a recipe for whipped cream, you might want to make it before the cocoa.
My Private Note
small m ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/2 cups milk (low fat works fine)
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract (if you like extra, add extra)
- whipped cream (optional, recipe follows or you can buy some)
- cinnamon (optional)
for whipped cream you need
- 1***DO NOT TURN ON FIRE UNTIL IT SAYS SO***.
- 2Put 2 tablespoons chocolate chips plus 1/2 tsp sugar into a small saucepan.
- 3Pour the milk into a 2-cup measuring cup until it reaches the 1 1/2 cup line.
- 4Slowly pour the milk into the saucepan.
- 5Add vanilla extract.
- 6Put the pan on the stove and turn heat to medium.
- 7Stir slowly (important!) with a wooden spoon as the milk heats up. the chocolate chips will slowly begin to melt. (It takes about 5 minutes to reach the right temperature. keep stirring constantly and be patient, DO NOT LET IT BOIL!).
- 8It will be brown all the way through and the chips will be melted and milk hot when it is ready.
- 9When it's ready take the cocoa off the stove and slowly pour it into 1 or 2 mugs.
- 10Serve plain, or with a little whipped cream (recipe follows) or cinnamon on top.
- 11***WHIPPED CREAM***.
- 12Get out large bowl and a whisk.
- 13Put the cream, vanilla, and powdered sugar in a bowl. Beat strongly but not too fast with a whisk. It's best to take turns with someone, so your arms won't get tired.
- 14When it gets nice and puffy but is still soft, it's ready.
- 15It can keep in a covered container in the refrigerator, it keeps up to 2 days. but the sooner you use it, the better.
Browse Our Top Beverages Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beverages Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Best Hot Cocoa Ever! and Real Whipped Cream!
Serving Size: 1 (327 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1265.1
- Calories from Fat 969
- Total Fat 107.7 g
- Saturated Fat 66.8 g
- Cholesterol 377.3 mg
- Sodium 272.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 37.6 g
- Protein 17.7 g