Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I made this recipe from Paula of the blog Bell'Alimento. It's so yummy you should try it : http://www.bellalimento.com/2009/11/10/bolognese-sauce/ I don't really know the number of serving. But I got 2 jars of this sauce.
- 29.58 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 2 carrots, peeled & minced
- 2 stalk celery, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 onion, minced
- 170.09 g can tomato paste
- 375 ml bottle red wine
- 453.59 g ground beef (I used lean)
- 453.59 g ground veal (I used lean)
- salt and pepper
- parmigiano-reggiano cheese (to garnish)
- In a LARGE deep sided pan (chicken fryer size) add your olive oil and heat over medium heat. When pan is hot, add the carrots, celery, onion & garlic and saute over low heat for 20-25 until completely soft & tender. Stir as necessary.
- Add your meats, season with salt and pepper and cook until completely brown. When meat is browned, add the tomato paste and allow to brown, approx 5 minutes. When brown add your wine & allow to reduce by half. Season with salt.
- When wine has reduced add in enough water to cover the sauce by 1″. Let sauce simmer on LOW. Stirring occasionally and when liquid levels are low add more water. Cooking & reducing all while simmering. Sauce needs to cook for a MINIMUM of one hour but is best after 2-3 or even more hours.
- Prepare your spaghetti according to package directions. When pasta is al dente, reserve a bit of pasta water & remove pasta from pot, drain & transfer into sauce pan. Mix together with tongs so sauce & pasta incorporate. Add a nice handful or two of Parmigiano Reggiano & serve immediately.
I couldn't find ground veal, so I used half lean beef and half italian sausage. I used merlot for the wine. I let mine cook for about 5 1/2 hours, and the smells that filled the kitchen were wonderful. This is a very easy to make sauce, and we really enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing! Made for 123 Tag
Lovely, lovely sauce! I followed the instructions almost exactly...only change I made was adding 2 packets of beef boullion, to give it some extra flavour. This is a winner....made lots of sauce and I am going to make this my go-to bolognese sauce! Thanks again for a great recipe!
This was really good, and made a lot of sauce. We used all beef, as I couldn't find veal at the market. For the wine I used a red zinfandel, and I also added some dried oregano. Thanks for posting a great pasta dish!