Recipe by Steve_G
Here's a basic white cake that utilizes a slightly different mixing method that ensures success every time. This cake is slightly off white due to the butter and extract. It's a classic wedding cake. Cover with any flavor classic butter cream.
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 cup milk
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups sifted cake flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups superfine sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into cubes and then sit out to soften
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease two 9-inch x 1 1/2 inch cake plans line bottoms with parchment paper grease bottom and flour entire pan.
- Prepare magic cake strips if using.
- In a medium bowl lightly combine the egg whites, 1/4 cup milk, and vanilla, beat lightly with a fork to combine In a large mixing bowl combine the dry ingredients and mix on low speed for 30 seconds to blend.
- Add the butter and remaining 3/4 cup milk.
- Mix on low speed until the dry ingredients are moistened.
- Beat for 90 seconds at medium speed to develop cake structure.
- Stop mixer, scrape down the sides.
- Gradually add the egg/milk/vanilla mixture in 3 batches, beating 20 seconds after each addition.
- Stop mixer, scrape down the sides and give it a final mix by hand.
- Pour the batter in the prepared pans and smooth surface.
- (Pans will be half full.) Bake 25 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in cake comes out clean and the cake springs back when pressed lightly in center.
- (The cakes should start to shrink from the sides of pans after taking them out of the oven.) Cool the cakes in the pans for 10 minutes, then invert onto a buttered rack.
- Reinvert cakes so that tops are right side up.
- Cool to room temperature and wrap tightly with plastic wrap.