Here's a basic white cake that utilizes a slightly different mixing method that ensures success every time. This cake is slightly off white due to the butter and extract. It's a classic wedding cake. Cover with any flavor classic butter cream.
My Private Note
nine in ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Grease two 9-inch x 1 1/2 inch cake plans line bottoms with parchment paper grease bottom and flour entire pan.
- 3Prepare magic cake strips if using.
- 4In a medium bowl lightly combine the egg whites, 1/4 cup milk, and vanilla, beat lightly with a fork to combine In a large mixing bowl combine the dry ingredients and mix on low speed for 30 seconds to blend.
- 5Add the butter and remaining 3/4 cup milk.
- 6Mix on low speed until the dry ingredients are moistened.
- 7Beat for 90 seconds at medium speed to develop cake structure.
- 8Stop mixer, scrape down the sides.
- 9Gradually add the egg/milk/vanilla mixture in 3 batches, beating 20 seconds after each addition.
- 10Stop mixer, scrape down the sides and give it a final mix by hand.
- 11Pour the batter in the prepared pans and smooth surface.
- 12(Pans will be half full.) Bake 25 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in cake comes out clean and the cake springs back when pressed lightly in center.
- 13(The cakes should start to shrink from the sides of pans after taking them out of the oven.) Cool the cakes in the pans for 10 minutes, then invert onto a buttered rack.
- 14Reinvert cakes so that tops are right side up.
- 15Cool to room temperature and wrap tightly with plastic wrap.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Basic White Cake
Serving Size: 1 (107 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 344.5
- Calories from Fat 113
- Total Fat 12.5 g
- Saturated Fat 7.8 g
- Cholesterol 33.3 mg
- Sodium 297.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 25.2 g
- Protein 4.8 g