Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Here's a basic white cake that utilizes a slightly different mixing method that ensures success every time. This cake is slightly off white due to the butter and extract. It's a classic wedding cake. Cover with any flavor classic butter cream.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease two 9-inch x 1 1/2 inch cake plans line bottoms with parchment paper grease bottom and flour entire pan.
- Prepare magic cake strips if using.
- In a medium bowl lightly combine the egg whites, 1/4 cup milk, and vanilla, beat lightly with a fork to combine In a large mixing bowl combine the dry ingredients and mix on low speed for 30 seconds to blend.
- Add the butter and remaining 3/4 cup milk.
- Mix on low speed until the dry ingredients are moistened.
- Beat for 90 seconds at medium speed to develop cake structure.
- Stop mixer, scrape down the sides.
- Gradually add the egg/milk/vanilla mixture in 3 batches, beating 20 seconds after each addition.
- Stop mixer, scrape down the sides and give it a final mix by hand.
- Pour the batter in the prepared pans and smooth surface.
- (Pans will be half full.) Bake 25 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in cake comes out clean and the cake springs back when pressed lightly in center.
- (The cakes should start to shrink from the sides of pans after taking them out of the oven.) Cool the cakes in the pans for 10 minutes, then invert onto a buttered rack.
- Reinvert cakes so that tops are right side up.
- Cool to room temperature and wrap tightly with plastic wrap.
The cake turned out quite moist, but the recipe contained far too much butter for my taste.
This was posted in response to my request for a good white cake to bake for my son's 1st birthday. This cake was so good and moist and it was a big hit with everyone, even the birthday boy. thanks Steve for the recipe.
This is the most wonderful white cake I have ever made! I used it for my dad's fiance's birthday cake, and put a mango filling in it, and everyone loved it! This one is sticking around for when I make my wedding cake!