Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a super rich indulgence that is very much like the middle of an apple pie. A great recipe for those apples that are sitting in your fridge that nobody wants to eat. Prep time includes time to peel the apples by hand (but you don't have to peel them if you don't want to). Enjoy!
- 6 large very tart apples, cored, sliced and peeled (peels on is okay too!)
- 1 cup golden raisin
- 1 cup granulated sugar (or less if you have sweeter apples)
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons butter, sliced
- Put all ingredients EXCEPT BUTTER into crock pot; stir well, coating all apple slices, and place slices of butter on top.
- Cook on HIGH for 1-1/2 to 2 hours OR cook on LOW 3-1/2 to 4 hours, stirring once half way through.
- Serve and enjoy!
Way to sweet for me and the apples turned out mushy. Next time, I will greatly reduce the sugar and will leave the peels on and only cut them in halves or quarters.
These were so good with Vanilla ice cream! How else would you serve them?! Definitely a good idea to cut the sugar back to half!
I read the reviews before making and made a couple changes accordingly. I used a 1/2 c sugar and 2 tbsp butter. It seemed plenty rich and sweet. I might even reduce the sugar a bit more in the future. Also I did not add raisins. My only dissapointment was that they came out very mushy and I like them to hold their shape and have a tad of bite to them. I will have to work with my crockpot a few times until I get it right I suppose (I did them in a 4 qt. pot on high for 2 hours, stiring halfway). I had to stir everything together in the biggest bowl I have before putting them into the crockpot and I still had to reduce the recipe by one apple. I need a bigger crockpot!