Recipe by alAmira
For anyone who desires an authentic taste of the mid east. This recipe was learned by watching a good friend of mine in Jordan when she was grinding her family's monthly supply.
- 1⁄2 cup whole black peppercorn
- 1⁄4 cup whole coriander seed
- 1⁄4 cup cassia or 1⁄4 cup cinnamon bark
- 1⁄4 cup whole cloves
- 1⁄3 cup cumin seed
- 2 teaspoons whole cardamom seeds
- 4 whole whole nutmegs
- 1⁄2 cup ground paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- Basically, just place all the spices except the paprika and nutmeg in a blender or adequate grinder and process until it becomes a powder.
- If necessary you can grind 1/2 cup at a time.
- Grate the nutmeg and blend this with the paprika into the spices.
- Store in an airtight jar.
- Generally in some areas, they lightly toast the spices in an oven to bring out more flavor.
- You can gain this also by putting the amount you're going to use, on a hot dry frypan and toast it for a few seconds before using.
- This not only makes the kitchen smell good, but brings out a richer flavor of any spice.
- *Note* You can also use ground spices, but using them whole is the authentic way.
- Four nutmegs come to about 1/4 cup ground.
- Be careful how much nutmeg you use; it's toxic in large doses.