Recipe by YummySmellsca
Pears, carrots and raisins team up with the unlikely candidate of green tomatoes for a deliciously tangy-sweet mincemeat. This is a vegan recipe, perfect for pie or tart fillings at Christmas and it freezes well, too! This won me first prize in the Ontario Greenbelt Fresh Association's contest in 2008.
Top Review by beevil
This is fantastic!!!!! Absolutely wonderful - and I am a mincemeat fanatic.. I had to use a mix of dried pears, peaches & apricots, and added generous amounts of spiced rum & brandy. I was given a lot of green tomatoes, and chose this way to use them - what a great choice. Thank you very much for sharing this.
- 650 g green tomatoes, chopped
- 1 kg granny smith apple, half-peeled, diced
- 250 g thompson seedless grapes
- 100 g shredded carrots
- 165 g chopped dried pears
- 1⁄2 cup candied orange peel
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves (omit if freezing, stir in once thawed)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 tablespoons blackstrap molasses
- 2⁄3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all ingredients in a large stockpot.
- Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low and cook, partially covered, 1 hour and 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Can according to water bath canner instructions.
- Alternatively, freeze: pack cold mincemeat into freezer jars or containers, leaving about an inch headspace for expansion. Seal and freeze promptly.