Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 mins
From Simple & Delicious magazine March/April 2008.
- 4 whole pita breads
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 3⁄4 lb cooked chicken, cut into strips
- 1 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- Brush on side of each pita bread with oil. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes or until browned and crisp.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mash the avocado with lemon juice, salt, garlic powder, and hot pepper sauce. Spread over pitas. Layer with chicken, tomato, and cheese. Bake for 5-6 minutes or until cheese is melted.
My family thought this was amazing. I made it in the morning for them to take to work and school. They all loved it.
This is great!! We're not used to using pita breads like this,but found that it worked really well (we usually stuff them!). The avocado mix was truly delicious,and teamed with the chicken and the cheese (we used Colby) was just lip smackingly yummy! Thanks for a winner!
I LOVED this. a true keeper i will make many times