Recipe by Erica_Hildebrand
Yummy and reminds me of Grandma's House at Christmas. Many recipes are similar to this one but this one is the best by far. You can use all butter but the shortening helps to brown and crisp the shortbread shell.
Top Review by Gay Gilmore
This tasted great and everyone really liked it, but it was not what I expected. The crust just didn't really come together the way I expected. Next time more butter or less flour.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup chilled butter, diced
- 1⁄4 cup shortening, diced
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 4 -5 granny smith apples, peeled,cored and cut into slices
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Sift four, 1/2 cup sugar and salt into a large bowl.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Fold in egg yolks (mixture will be crumbly).
- Remove 1/4 of mixture, and set aside.
- Press remainder onto bottom and sides an 8" tart shell or pie pan.
- In a large bowl, combine apples, brown sugar, 1 tablespoon flour, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Place apples into crust, and sprinkle reserved crumb mixture evenly over top.
- Place pie on a baking sheet, and bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350° and continue baking 20 minutes, or until top is golden brown and filling is bubbling.