Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I came across a recipe for "beer dip" a few years ago that I tweaked to turn into this wonderful cheese ball. It has since become my standard cheese ball, requested at family functions. It's rolled in cheddar cheese, because that's my family's preference-- I'm sure it could be rolled in chipped beef or nuts if you prefer. Cooking time includes time to chill and form the cheese ball.
- Reserve one cup of cheese.
- In a medium bowl, combine remaining ingredients (I use a hand mixer to make sure it's combined well).
- Push mixture together in the center of the bowl, making a ball shape, cover bowl, and refrigerate 2 hours or longer.
- Place a large strip of plastic wrap on the counter top.
- Sprinkle remaining cup of cheese over the center of the plastic wrap.
- Place cream cheese mixture in the center of the shredded cheese, and use plastic wrap to mold into a ball.
- Roll the ball to completely cover in shredded cheese.
- (I often use more than one cup of cheese to completely cover the cheese ball).
- Wrap the formed cheese ball in plastic wrap and refrigerate one hour or until serving.
- Serve with hearty crackers such as Wheat Thins or Triscuits.
Nice and easy to make. I think a little zip would be great too, so next time may add some chopped jalapenos.
I made this cheese ball for our Christmas party and had many compliments on it. It was easy to make. I loved the combination of flavors. Thanks for posting!
This is easy and terrific! I made it for a girl's weekend and they all loved it. Many requests for the recipe! Thanks, I will certainly be making this often.