O.K. O.K. this recipe is for the Bacon Connoisseur's of the World from James Beard. I have placed this recipe here for safe keeping. A recipe for a brave day when one day I may take the plunge if I can find others who will follow me into the world of Bacon Fat! It's not mayonnaise with crumbled bacon, but mayonnaise made with bacon fat. The recipe makes only a small amount, about enough for 4 sandwiches. It's best to use it all up at once because any leftover mayonnaise must be refrigerated, and the bacon fat will turn it solid." Yes, I can see it all now a very hot summer day after picking my tomatoes...
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 egg yolk
- 3/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup bacon fat (liquid)
- 1Method:To prepare the bacon mayonnaise, combine the egg yolk, mustard, and lemon juice in the small bowl of a food processor or in a blender and process to mix. Season with salt and pepper.
- 2Have the bacon fat liquid, but not hot. With the machine running, gradually add the bacon fat until the mixture starts to stiffen and emulsify, about 2 minutes. Once it starts to emulsify, you can add the fat more quickly. If the mayonnaise is too thick, just blend in 1 teaspoon of boiling water to thin it. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- 3Spread 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise on each slice of bread. Arrange the lettuce and tomato slices on 1 slice of bread and season well with pepper. Top the tomato with the bacon slices and then the second slice of bread. Press together gently and serve.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for A Perfect Bacon, Lettuce, and Tomato Sandwich
Serving Size: 1 (117 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 216.6
- Calories from Fat 151
- Total Fat 16.8 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 62.6 mg
- Sodium 440.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 5.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: