This high protein, fresh tasting, vegetarian salad is very quick and easy to prepare. In fact it can be made in just 15 minutes from start to finish, and can be kept for a few days in the refrigerator, getting more flavorful as it marinates longer. Using fresh herbs and a small amount extra virgin olive oil makes this a healthier salad than many of those with high fat dressings without losing flavor. Recipe found on http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=recipe&dbid=57
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 2⁄3 cup minced scallion
- 3 medium garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 medium ripe tomato, chopped, seeds removed
- 3 medium celery ribs, diced about 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- extra virgin olive oil, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup feta cheese (optional)
- 1 small head chopped romaine lettuce, outer leaves removed, and discarded
- cracked black pepper
- Mix all ingredients except lettuce and cheese in a bowl and season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Serve on bed of chopped romaine lettuce and sprinkle with feta cheese.
Extrememly fresh-tasty and healthy! The fresh mint really brings the flavor alive. I used only about 1 tbsp of olive oil. I served this over a mix of romaie and bibb lettuces. What a perfect quick and filling lunch. Thanx!
I have made this salad several times since finding it on the World's Healthiest Food website. The first time I made it, I didn't have time to play around to figure out how much extra virgin olive oil to use, so I just made a citronette (3 tbsp. lemon juice, 4.5 tbsp. evoo, 1/2 tsp. dijon mustard, pinch of salt and pinch of cayenne pepper). It worked so well, I've continued to use it. The feta cheese is a must.