Peppery Turnip "Fries"
I confess to being turnip ignorant. It seems a shame to let a perfectly good vegetable go uneaten for lack of knowledge. Then I found this recipe in "Yamuna's Table", and I became a turnip convert. Try it and join me in having a new appreciation for this humble vegetable.
- Ready In:
- 4 medium turnips (about 1 1/2 lbs.)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 3 -4 tablespoons freshly ground parmesan cheese
- olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Lightly grease a large cookie sheet with olive oil.
- Pare the turnips and cut them into 2 1/2 x 1/2 inch sticks.
- Combine the spices, Parmesan and turnips in a large plastic bag.
- Seal and shake to coat.
- Spread the sticks in a single layer on the prepared pan and brush with a little olive oil.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, turning once, until spears are tender and golden.
- Serve with or without a sprinkling of lime.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
These were not a hit with anyone in our house. DH is the only one who ate his share. One taste was enough for everyone else. The pepper and Parmesan sounded like a good combo. Maybe it was the nutmeg that turned us off. We love to try new recipes, and everyone's taste is different. This one just wasn't for our family.Reply