New Orleans Style Red Beans
- Ready In:
- 1hr 40mins
- Place beans, onion, parsley, thyme, water and celery into a large pot and bring to a rolling boil stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat so that there is still a slight roll and continue occasional stirring until beans begin to soften and break up, adding water as needed.
- At this point add the sausage and, using a spoon (a relatively flat wooden spoon works best) gently mash the beans against the side of the pot and scrape the sides to release the mashed beans (this will help thicken the sauce).
- When the sauce has achieved a creamy consistency it is ready to serve. (depending on the freshness of the beans usually 1.5 to 3 hours) Serve over your favorite rice.
- Add the baking powder, blended in an ounce or two of water, just after cooking. This will cause the beans to foam up added. I find that adding this reduces the gas and bloating that beans can cause.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!