My Favorite Rolls
photo by PrimQuilter
- Ready In:
- 1hr 3mins
- 3 cups warm water
- 1⁄3 cup active dry yeast, plus
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 1⁄2 ounces butter or 1 1/2 ounces margarine
- 1 large egg
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄3 cup powdered milk, plus
- 2 teaspoons powdered milk
- 3 1⁄2 lbs flour
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- In your mixing bowl, add warm water and yeast, stirring to dissolve.
- Add butter, egg and part of the sugar, mixing well.
- Mix 1/2 of the flour with powdered milk, salt and the rest of the sugar.
- Add to yeast mixture and mix well.
- Add rest of flour as needed until dough is no longer sticky, but not too dry.
- Cover bowl with flour sack towel, place in a warm spot and let rise until doubled.
- Punch down.
- Lightly flour countertop, pull off pieces of dough, making them into a round shape a little larger than a golf ball.
- Place 1" apart in greased pan.
- Cover and let rise until doubled.
- Spray tops with butter flavored spray.
- Bake 10 minutes, turning pan and baking another 8 minutes.
- Rolls are done when you can thump them with your finger and they sound hollow !
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I made this for the "My 3 Chefs Fall 2008" challenge. I have been making bread and rolls for many years and the 1/3 cup of yeast seemed like alot. So I cut way back on the amount. I also just added what felt right for the amount of flour. But I would like to see the recipe with cup amounts and not pounds and ounces. IMO it would be easier for a new cook. They did turn out very crusty and yummy but I left them a little to long for the second rising and they overrose from so much yeast and fell LOL
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<img src="http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/1956/ShootnowSTKR.jpg"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/smPACp.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"> <img src="http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/tgifford/participation%20banners/coolmonday-particiation.jpg" border="0" alt="Cookathon for Cool Monday (1)"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/IWasAdoptedfall08.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/PACfall08partic.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/AMpageSticker.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/CookathonforKarensticker.jpg"> <img src="http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/tgifford/Game%20Room%20Banners/AM%20Banners/KBparticipation.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"><img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Participation.jpg"> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Iwasadopted.jpg"> <img src="http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/PACsticker-Adopted.jpg"><img src="http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/Animation6.gif"><img src="http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2/kiwidutch/my3chefs2009final-1.jpg">