Mini Lentil Meatballs
photo by Kozmic Blues
- Ready In:
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 small onion, peeled
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked lentils, rinsed, drained (a 15 oz can is fine)
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons vital wheat gluten
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs, seasoned (store bought)
- In a food processor, add the garlic and pulse until finely chopped.
- Now add the onion and pulse until minced. You don’t want any big pieces or they will ruin the texture of the meatball.
- With a plastic spatula, transfer the onion/garlic mixture to a mixing bowl and set aside. It’s okay if some remnants are left, just try to get most of it.
- Now in the food processor, pulse the lentils, nutritional yeast, wheat gluten, soy sauce, tomato paste, olive oil and water.
- Once everything gets mixed well, puree them until totally smooth, scraping down the sides to make sure you get everything.
- Combine this mixture with the onion mixture and add in the breadcrumbs. Mix really well with your hands for about 2 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Roll the meatballs into cherry sized balls.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium heat and pour in a thin layer of olive oil. You don’t want to crowd the pan, so pan fry in two batches. You should be able to tilt the pan and have all the meatballs roll around and get coated in oil, cooking until browned (no more than 5 minutes.).
- Transfer first batch to a baking pan, cook the second batch, and transfer all meatballs to the baking pan.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, shaking the pan every once in awhile to toss the balls so that they cook evenly.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I really liked these! They have a great flavor, the tomato paste is something I think I've been missing in other vegan meatball recipes. The smaller ones were definitely better, but I got impatient and they got a little bigger as I went. Won't make that mistake next time. I used more garlic then written, and sauteed the onion/garlic before adding. I did use these for making spaghetti Os and meatballs and they were great! Thanks for sharing!
Made these for dinner tonight and they were a HUGE hit with everyone (8 year old & 16 year old) Pretty easy to make and delicious dipped in marinara sauce. Served with steamed broccoli and the plates were clean! Was out of tomato paste so used a little bit of ketchup and quadrupled the garlic (LOVE GARLIC).....definitely will e making these again! Thanks for a great and healthy recipe!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Friend me on Facebook: <a href="http://www.facebook.com/rebekah.reid" title="Rebekah Reid" target="_TOP" style="font-family: "lucida grande",tahoma,verdana,arial,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; font-variant: normal; font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; color: #3B5998; text-decoration: none;">Rebekah Reid</a> | <a href="http://www.facebook.com/badges.php" title="Make your own badge!" target="_TOP" style="font-family: "lucida grande",tahoma,verdana,arial,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; font-variant: normal; font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; color: #3B5998; text-decoration: none;">Create Your Badge</a><a href="http://www.facebook.com/rebekah.reid" title="Rebekah Reid" target="_TOP"><img src="http://badge.facebook.com/badge/1059979755.389.889814801.png" alt="Rebekah Reid" style="border: 0px;" /></a> Follow me on <a href="http://twitter.com/Becky_R">Twitter!</a> <a href="http://web.me.com/kozmic_blues">My Website!</a> <a href="http://beckystastyplanet.blogspot.com/">Food Blog!</a> <a href="http://gallery.mac.com/kozmic_blues">Photo Gallery!</a> Thanks for visiting my "About Me" page!! I'm Becky and I live in Providence, Rhode Island. I probably enjoy cooking more than almost anything...which is why I adore this site so much!! Nothing makes me more happy than to create a meal for family and friends to share together and ENJOY. <img src=http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:mxVQnIIYIrpqKM:http://quakeragitator.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/autism_awareness_logo3.jpg><img src=http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:AfhXhWEtLQYbVM:http://www.marriageequalityri.org/photos/shop.a1.jpg><img src=http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:iSI4l3JhSOqKPM:http://marriagerights.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/gay-pride-flag-738850.jpg><img src=http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:1J1-2O7PWW4c5M:http://www2.hawaii.edu/~mccorkhi/vegan.jpg> <img src=http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m445/mliss29/vegn%20swap/vegnswap.jpg> <img src=http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m445/mliss29/vegn%20swap/group07kiwi.jpg> <img src=http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m445/mliss29/vegnswap1/group02banana.jpg> <img src=http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m445/mliss29/vegnswap1/group12starfruit.jpg>