Giant Puffball Mushroom Crust Pizza
photo by Rachel Rodrigue
- Ready In:
2 large slices
- 1 giant puffball wild mushroom
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons pizza sauce
- 1⁄4 cup shredded pizza cheese
- your favorite pizza toppings
- Wash the Giant Puffball and remove the outer leathery skin like layer. If you see the puffball has begun to spore, throw it away. Wash off any left over dirt.
- Slice the Giant Puffball into 3/4 inch slices (the best you can) I like to use the slices in the middle because they are bigger. Use 2 slices for the recipe. Freeze or dehydrate any remaining puffball immediately or it will not be good the next day.
- Lightly brush olive oil on both sides of each slice. Place the slices on your gas grill. Turn the slices over carefully. They should be slightly crispy on both sides and you should be able to see the grill marks. Puffballs are very moist and spongy and it is necessary to remove some of the moisture with this process.
- Lightly spread tomato pizza sauce (you may also use pesto sauce on your pizza or make sauceless pizza. If you use sauce on your pizza, place a very small amount because the mushroom will still be very moist.
- Cover the top of your pizza with shredded cheese and your favorite toppings. The amount of toppings will depend on the size of your slices.
- Place the slices on a sheet pan covered with tin foil.
- Bake in a 400 degree preheated oven until the cheese turns slightly brown on the top and all of your toppings are cooked through. Again, the length of cooking time depends on how many topings you put.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I found my first giant puffball. I tried several things, and liked this recipe best. The mild flavor and soft consistency didn't do much for me fried in butter or oil; this dry grilled surface (with salt and fresh ground pepper after brushing it with the olive oil) made it good right from the grill, even without toppings. We went simple with the toppings: some finely chopped tomato and a little shredded mozzarella.