Drop Baking Powder Biscuits
photo by Dienia B.
- Ready In:
- 2 cups white flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons shortening or 2 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup milk
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Blend the shortening into the flour using fingers or a tool for cutting in butter.
- When uniform crumbly consistency, make a well in the center. Pour all the milk in at once and then stir just until blended. Don’t stir any longer or the biscuits will be tough.
- Drop by large spoonfuls onto a greased baking sheet or into greased muffin tins.
- Bake 10-15 minutes at 450 degrees.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I have made these several times since I found your recipe. We love it! Thank you for sharing. I have some in the oven as I write this but this time tried something different. I added some dried parsley, parmesan cheese (put in only half of the salt) and some garlic powder. I will be serving them with ham and bean soup. This recipe is so great no matter what you may add to it Im sure they will still be perfect. Again, thank you for sharing this recipe!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I live in Seattle, but have also lived in the DC area, the Mid-west, California, the South, and New England, as well as China and India plus travel a fair bit, so I have experienced a good number of cuisines and like them all. I eat mostly vegetarian and mostly do a lot of scratch cooking. I am known for my creative use of leftovers and whatever is in the fridge. Too bad those recipes can't go easily into Zaar.</p>