Double Corn Spoon Bread
- Ready In:
- 2 cups plain soymilk
- 2 cups chicken stock or 2 cups vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dark honey
- 1 cup of stone-ground cornmeal (regular is fine if you can't find stone-ground)
- 1 1⁄4 cups corn kernels (fresh, or frozen that have been thawed)
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375°F Lightly coat a 3 quart souffle dish with olive oil cooking spray.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the soy milk, stock, olive oil and honey. Heat until very hot, but not to boiling. Reduce the heat to low until so the mixture simmers. Add in the cornmeal in a stream while whisking constantly. Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl, stir in the corn, shallot, thyme, baking powder, salt and stir to comine.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on high speed, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently whisk 1/3 of the egg whites into the corn mixture to lighten it. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold the remaining egg whites into the corn mixture just until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared souffle dish and sprinkle with cheese. Bake until puffed and lightly golden, about 35 minutes. Let it stand in the dish for 5 minutes before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!