Diabetic Applesauce Brownies
- Ready In:
16 brownie squares
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 cup sugar or 1/2 cup sugar substitute
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a bowl combine oil, applesauce, and cocoa.
- Mix in sugar.
- Blend in the eggs and vanilla.
- In another bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients to the liquid mixture.
- Pour in a 9 inch square pan.
- Sprinkle nuts on top if desired.
- Bake in oven for about 20-30 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
These are very good considering I used sugar substitute (which is a little drying on the finished product). I will probably ice with a diabetic icing because the brownies are a little bit cakish in taste and texture. See following icing. <br/><br/>Creamy Chocolate Frosting<br/><br/>1 C sugar (Splenda or Sucrella works well)<br/>3 T cornstarch<br/>Dash salt<br/>2 oz. unsweetened chocolate, grated<br/>1 C boiling water<br/>1 T butter (Becel works fine)<br/>1 t vanilla<br/><br/><br/>Mix sugar and cornstarch in a medium saucepan. Add grated chocolate and salt. Add boiling water and cook over medium heat until mixture thickens.<br/><br/>Remove from heat.<br/><br/>Add butter and vanilla<br/><br/>Spread hot frosting on a cooled cake for a glossy look %u2013 the icing will remain soft and smooth.<br/><br/><br/>Note: This recipe can be doubled for layer cakes or larger rectangle cakes