Delicious Lentil Loaf
- Ready In:
- 3⁄4 cup lentils (a mixture is best but may use one type if none other available)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 bouillon cubes (chicken or vegetable)
- spices (Thyme, Sage, Parsley, and Tarragon recommended)
- 2 teaspoons yeast extract (Marmite, Bovril, etc)
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheese, grated
- 2 -4 cups boiling water
- In a saucepan, heat oil and sauté onion and carrot until tender. Add lentils and enough boiling water to cover the contents. You may need to add some more water while boiling. Add spices, bullion, and yeast extract. Boil about 30 – 40 minutes. (This time varies depending on the type of lentils you use). The lentils should be soft and the mixture should be thick but still have some water in it –almost like cake mix. Take off heat and stir in grated cheese and eggs. Pour into a loaf pan and bake 35 – 45 minutes at 350F until firm. Serve warm as a main dish or put it on bread for a sandwich.
- You can vary the texture by using different varieties of lentils and can even add pinto or another bean to the mix.
- **It can be made without the yeast extract, but this really adds a flavorful zip.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Be careful when adding your boullion cube. Salt and acid can cause beans not to cook. So I just added the boullion cube at the end to be safe. Otherwise great simple recipe. I also used flax egg replacer. Mostly because I was in a hurry and did not want to wait for the ingredienets to cool down enough for me to add the eggs. <br/>Thanks