Danish Rye Bread
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 20mins
2 1.75l loaf pan
- 2 cups boiling water
- 200 ml bulgur, cracked wheat
- 330 ml dark beer
- 4 tablespoons dry active yeast
- 1 1⁄3 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons liquid gravy browner or 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 4 cups rye flour
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Pour the boiling water into a very large bowl.
- Add bulgur, let stand for 10 minutes.
- Add the cold beer, yeast, buttermilk, gravy color or cocoa and salt.
- It is important to keep the machine on low for 5 minutes, keep scraping the sides and the dough hook while you add.
- Rye flour, whole wheat flour and all purpose flour.
- Fill loaf forms ¾ of the way.
- Cover with a wet dishtowel and let rise for 1 hour.
- Dip a fork in a glass of water and prick the whole surface of the loafs.
- Let rise for another hour
- Bake on the middle rack 1 hour at 400 F (200 C).
- Remove baked loafs from oven, and turn over into separate dishtowels, turn right side up.
- Brush top of bread with melted butter and wrap in dishtowel.
- Place on baking rack on the counter to cool completely.
- To freeze: Let cool till hand warm, place in double Freezer bags, and wait till completely cool to place in freezer.
- To defrost, place on kitchen counter in a dishtowel, remove plastic bag, till defrosted, can be stored in the fridge 6-8 days in a plastic bag.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
We love this bread,I would give more stars if I could.I have been trying out many Danish dense breads,this is the best so far!We used to live in Denmark many years ago,and I got used to heavy rye[full corn] very thinly sliced open faced sandwiches.So thank you for posting your recipe,will make every week.
I finally made this! I can't really rate it since I'm not 21 and therefore couldn't buy beer (the closest thing I could think of to use is root beer - I know, I know, not even close to the same thing, and I don't recommend it because it messed with the flavor too much. Next time I'll get some one to buy me some). It's was a little too salty and I can't figure out why, but regardless, it's so much better than anything I've been able to find here. I'll definitely be making it again as soon as I run out - it's going to be a staple for me.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
My beloved sister Lise passed away on December 3 2008, so this year I didn't do all my usual Christmas cooking and baking. Frank and I moved to a bigger apartment on January 1, and once I can see the floor for boxes, I will get back to cooking. I look forward to re-visit with my wonderful Zaar friends again. I have not been much on Zaar last summer and Fall, due to my sister, and father's illness. We have now come to the hard part, they have stopped all treatment on Lise, and we can only try to be there for her, her family and each other. Then England seems such a long way away from Denmark. Grown and multicultural woman with a passion for cooking and especially learning about others holidays, traditions and recipes. I have lived 18 years in the USA and have grown children there so I do go there regular. Am an accomplished mural painter and collector of Japanese art and furniture. My DBF say I am addicted to Zaar, he is probably right, apart from having to look of idears for dinner, or lunch or snacks or chocolade dressed up as something else, I also have to check out my wonderful cooking partners in crime, and very very funny friends at Zaar. I have learned so much from you all. <a href="http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b161/tisht/?action=view¤t=tish2.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b161/tisht/tish2.jpg" border="0" alt="Recipezaar Challenge 2008"></a> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/adoptedspring08.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee177/pelysma/banner002_200.jpg"> <img src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/Zaar%20World%20Tour%204/ZWTAB-tg.gif"> <img src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/homepage/ZWT4-TeamCaptain.gif"> <img src="http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z205/jubespage/stacky5.jpg">