Danish Pumpernickel Rye Bread
photo by Jhiversen
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 15mins
- 12 ounces beer (or water)
- 4 cups water
- 1 1⁄3 tablespoons instant yeast
- 1 cup flax seed meal
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 1 cup rye flakes
- 10 cups wholemeal rye flour (1 kg)
- 10 cups white flour (approximate, 1 kg)
- Heat water and beer until luke warm,.
- Dissolve yeast in liquid.
- Add remaining ingredients in stand mixer (add flours gradually, keeping some of the white flour back).
- Knead the dough until slightly tacky - about 10 minutes. You may wish to hand knead for a few minutes to ensure the dough has the right consistency.
- Place dough in large oiled bowl. Cover and let rise in a warm spot for 90 minutes.
- Form two loaves and place in loaf pans (I use 3 liter loaf pans - you could probably use 3 smaller pans).
- Cover and let rise for 60 minutes.
- Bake for 75 minutes at 350 F (175 C).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!