Coney Island Sauce
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped (I like to save the other half for garnishing)
- 1 lb hamburger, low fat versions will make the sauce less greasy
- 1 teaspoon salt (table or sea salt)
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 cup ketchup
- 10 -12 hot dogs
- 10 -12 buns (white is best for this, but wheat lovers will enjoy this just the same)
- Cook the onions in butter until soft and translucent.
- Stir in hamburger, salt, paprika and chili powder. Cook this over medium beat until browned.
- Blend in ketchup and simmer for 20-30 minutes and get all of those flavors happy.
- Add water by the tablespoons if necessary to thin the mixture.
- Garnish with left over onion, shredded cheese - I recommend a cheddar blend, and any other hot dog fixings you prefer. Or simply enjoy this coney sauce all by itself. After this, you'll have a hard time returning to chili dogs.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a stay at home mom of two wonderful little taste testers and wife to a great food critic.