Butternut Squash Orzo
photo by May I Have That Rec
- Ready In:
- In a deep skillet, melt butter with oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and cook for about 6 minutes, or until tender and starting to brown.
- Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add squash and stir.
- Add 1/2 cup chicken broth and simmer over medium heat until liquid is absorbed and squash is barely tender.
- While it is simmering, bring the remaining broth to a boil.
- Add orzo and cook for about 8 minutes, until cooked al dente.
- Drain any excess liquid.
- Combine squash mixture with orzo and heat together for a few minutes, until the squash is tender.
- Pour into a bowl and toss with basil and cheese.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is a very good quick dinner for us now! The second time I made it I doubled the garlic, added half an onion more(and carmelized them, per LeAnnC's suggestion,) and added a big pinch of nutmeg. (It complements the squash.)I also toss in leftover roast chicken if I have some. Very good, very easy.
Rich and yummy! Used fake broth (pareve chicken soup mix) but otherwise verbatim and wow - what an awesome combination of flavours. Kind of like sumptuous, decadent mac & cheese. ;-) A hit with grownups, big & little kids. Made as a main, but it presents itself more like a side dish, so I'd probably pair it with something next time... perhaps a salad?