Butter-Rum Sandwich Cookies
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 9mins
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons light rum
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons pearl sugar, for topping
- 1 1⁄3 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons light rum
- 1 -2 tablespoon half-and-half
- COOKIES: Combine the powdered sugar and pecans in a food processor fitted with a metal blade.
- Cover and process until the pecans are very finely chopped, 45-60 seconds.
- Combine the sugar mixture, butter, rum, and vanilla in a large bowl; cream with an electric mixer on medium speed until creamy, scraping sides of bowl often, 2-3 minutes.
- Reduce mixer speed to low; add the flour, baking powder, and salt, stirring until well mixed (1-2 minutes).
- Divide dough in half; shape each piece into a 10" long roll on a lightly floured surface.
- Flatten the sides to form a triangle on a sheet of waxed paper, using the paper to help create the shape.
- Wrap each half in plastic wrap; refrigerate until firm, about 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cut each dough log into 1/4" slices; space 1" apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Sprinkle cookies with the pearl sugar; bake for 9-11 minutes, or until the edges begin to brown.
- Transfer cookies to wire racks and cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make the FROSTING: Combine all the frosting ingredients (except the half-and-half) in a small bow.
- Beat with an electric mixer on low speed, adding enough half-and-half for desired spreading consistency.
- For each sandwich cookie, spread 3/4 teaspoons frosting on the bottom of a cookie, sugar side down; top with a second cookie, sugar side up.
- Squeeze together gently; repeat until all cookies have been assembled.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Wonderfully fragrant DELICIOUS cookie..This is Mother Bauer's Buttered-Rum Cookies w/Buttered Rum Cream Filling from Rose Levy Beranbaum's "Christmas Cookies" cookbook. The original recipe calls for blanched sliced almonds and only 1 2/3 cups of flour, 1 c unsalted butter for the cookies, and FILLING is: 3 T unsalted butter, 1 c powdered sugar, 3/4 tsp light rum, 2 tsp heavy cream. They're a roll-out cookie. I've posted this recipe before and some have experienced some problems with rolling the dough. I never did and I've made these several times.
My husband sampled these at a housewarming party last weekend; the hostess promised to share her recipe (seeing as how Chris ate so many!) as soon as she could find her cookbooks! So last night, out of the blue, she called--ready to cast out her secret formula for these cookies! I hope you like them as much as Chris does!