Broccoli Leek Cheese Soup
photo by Cleanfreshcuisine
- Ready In:
- 3 large broccoli florets
- 1 leek, stalk only
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 (49 1/2 ounce) cans low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup milk (I used 2% but you can use any)
- 1 tablespoon rosemary
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- cheddar cheese, shredded 1 1/2 cups
- Wash broccoli and cut crosswise into 1/2″ wide stalks then cut crosswise into 1″ pieces. Wash leek and cut in half; cut crosswise into 1″ pieces.
- Place broccoli and leek into a large skillet. Add one inch of water and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Cover and let cook until tender, about 5 to 7 minutes. Do not drain.
- In a large stock pot over medium high heat, melt the butter. Whisk in the flour and stir until mixture is smooth and bubbly.
- Turn heat to medium and pour in chicken broth. Bring to a boil, whisking constantly.
- Boil and stir for one minute. Add broccoli and leek, rosemary, oregano, pepper and garlic powder.
- Turn heat to low and let simmer for 20 to 30 minutes. Stir in milk and cheese and let simmer for 5 to 10 minutes more; do not boil.
- 10 to 12 servings, about one cup each.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
My name is Kyle and I am a Mom, a chef, a blogger and an event planner