Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I served this chili to guests on Halloween night with cornbread and it was a huge hit!
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium red pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, one drained, one with juice
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato paste
- salt (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Saute garlic, onion and peppers in olive oil over medium heat until onions are soft.
- Add ground beef, cook until browned.
- Add tomatoes, beans, tomato paste and spices. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for one hour. Add water if needed to reach desired consistency.
As written we thought this was a bit bland. I added 3 tablespoons of chili powder and then added an 8 ounce can of tomato sauce. It was easy to make and we did enjoy it after the changes.
This is a great chili. I didn't have time to be home and watch it cook so I threw it all in the crockpot for the day. So I didn't bother sauteing the onion and garlic. I added a 15 oz can of mexican chili beans and 2 cups water. I left out the red pepper. One of the cans of tomatoes had green chilis in it. Thanks for a great recipe!
This chili is soooo good! I needed to add a lot of chili powder bcse I like it spicy. I also added chili powder with smokey flavor...thx amazing recipe!