Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
Watermelon Baby Carriage Recipe from Happy Cookies. This was on the local morning news. It was too cute. Perfect for that baby shower you're about to go to.
- 1 medium watermelon, seedless
- 5 toothpicks
- 4 orange slices
- 4 lime slices
- 2 cups red seedless grapes, divided
- 2 cups green seedless grapes
- 1 medium cantaloupe (cut into balls or cubes)
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, halved
- 1 cup poppy seed salad dressing, if desired
- With a sharp knife, cut a thin slice from bottom of melon so it sits flat. Lightly score a horizontal line halfway up sides and around the melon, leaving 5 inches from one end unmarked on each side for baby carriage hood.
- For hood, make another line around top of watermelon, connecting both sides of the horizontal line. Using the rounded edge of a biscuit cutter as a guide, mark a scalloped edge along all straight lines. With a long sharp knife, cut into melon along the scalloped lines, making sure to cut all the way through the melon rind. Gently pull off the rind. Remove fruit from melon and removed section; Cut fruit into balls or cubes and set aside.
- For the U-shaped handle, cut out a 5 inch square form the removed section of the rind. Cut out the center and one end leaving a 1 inch wide handle. Break one toothpick in half. Attach handle to watermelon with toothpick halves.
- For wheels, position orange slices at base of watermelon and attach with toothpicks. Top each orange slice with a lime slice and a red grape.
- In a large bowl, combine the cantaloupe, green grapes, strawberries, remaining red grapes and reserved watermelon. Spoon into baby carriage. Serve with poppy seed salad dressing if desired.
Made this for a baby shower recently. I have never done anything like this before but found this to be fairly easy to do. Perfection is not required thankfully! This was a huge success. I did not use the dressing because the fruit was so delicious. Thanks for a wonderful idea!
Best idea ever! I used this recipe for my baby shower last year and everyone loved it TY jess
Had seen these made before but was glad to find actual instructions. Looked so cute - my only problem was the toothpicks didn't want to stay in the middle of the oranges. I hope someone makes one of these for my baby shower next month, lol :)