Prep 5 mins
Cook 3 mins
Zip lock has come out with these great little steamer bags. I'm going to down load several of the recipes for safe keeping. The idea is that steamed vegetables and meat are supposed to be better for you, because there is very little added fat. I suppose you could also make this in a traditional steamer, however, the cook times may vary.
- 1 head savoy cabbage, cabbage, shredded (Chinese, about 3 cups)
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 scallions, chopped (green and white parts)
- 2 teaspoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- Combine all ingredients in a Medium or Large Ziploc® Brand Zip 'n Steam™ Bag.
- Seal bag and shake gently to combine ingredients. Pat ingredients into single layer. Place bag in microwave.
- Microwave on full power for 3 minutes or until cabbage is tender.
- Allow bag to stand for 1 minute before handling. Carefully open bag and serve.
- Garnish as desired with sesame seeds.
5 stars from DH. I added lots of extra "heat" for him too. I also added bean sprouts. I didn't have the steam bags (I prefer not to microwave in plastic...even though they say it is safe.) I used a glass dish with a cover, it was perfect. Thanks for posting!
First time using this type of cabbage & I really liked it. Didn't use the microwave, just sauteed it on the stovetop & had to use a yellow onion as that's what I had. Very tasty.
Love the taste, technique, healthiness, and colors! I did prepare this earlier in day and refrigerated. Thank you MsSally for sharing a repeater. Made for Everyday is a Holiday!