Prep 18 mins
Cook 0 mins
If you like oranges you will love this recipe.
- 1 angel food cake
- 2 (11 ounce) cans mandarin oranges
- 2 (3 ounce) packages orange gelatin
- 1 quart Orange sherbet, softened
- 12 ounces whipped topping
- Cut the cake into bite sized pieces.
- Drain mandarin oranges, reserving 1 cup juice. Reserve 5 orange slices for garnish. Cut the remaining slices into bite sized pieces.
- Place reserved juice in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Remove from the heat. Add gelatin mix and stir until the gelatin mix is dissolved.
- Combine gelatin mixture and sherbet in a large bowl. Stir until sherbet is melted. Fold in whipped topping.
- Layer cake pieces, orange pieces and sherbet mixture one half at a time in a glass serving dish.
- Chill, covered, for 6 to 8 hours. Top with reserved orange slices.
I absolutely loved this, along with all my friends! had my doubts while I was putting it together but it turned out wonderful. very yummy orange taste and not overly sweet. I ended up putting some plain cool whip on top as well and next time would probably also put a thin layer of plain cool whip in the middle. can't wait to try using raspberries with this recipe.
Very unique recipe! I loved how low in fat it was!! Very nice flavour! This makes a very large bowl of trifle. I made it for our weekly Sewing Circle & there was enough to go around plus leftovers. My only complaint was that it was a tad on the sweet side (wish I could have found light sherbet) & it didn't fully the set the way I thought it should.
I made this with pound cake as that was what I had on hand. I made this otherwise as directed. The crowd at the potluck loved it and one woman tried to buy the partially empty bowl from me! Would be wonderful for a summer BBQ.