Recipe by Brenda.
A delicious sugarless cookie filled with dates, raisins, apples and nuts. You won't miss the sugar! From the " Cooking with the Horse and Buggy People" cookbook. I have edited the recipe to include draining the fruit after "plumping". Thank you Paula!
Top Review by HokiesMom
Nice change of pace for a healthier cookie! Loved the dates, apples and nuts in this cookie. Because others stated it was a bit dry I was not overly concerned with totally draining the liquids from the fruit mixture and left a few tablespoons in there and that seemed to work for me. Moist and delicious cookie with a great texture that stood up to storage. Loved the fact that these are sugarless. Plan on making more for my Dad as a special treat that won't affect his sugar levels. Made in honor of those we all have loved but have lost through cancer during the Think Pink tag event. Love ya Bren!
- 1⁄2 cup dates, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup apple, chopped
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup water
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup nuts, chopped (your choice)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees F.
- Simmer the dates, apples, and raisins in 1 cup of water for 3 minutes to soften and "plump".
- Cool and remove fruit from liquid. Discard cooking water.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together eggs and shortening. Add vanilla.
- Stir in cooled date mixture.
- Add dry ingredients and mix well. Stir in nuts.
- Chill for 15 minutes.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonful onto a lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Bake about 10-12 minutes or until nicely browned.
- Store in a cool place.